Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wellness Wednesday - I'm Trying Something New


Since my roommate Anna and I have been trying to get healthier, we’ve started drinking more smoothies for breakfast. So, we decided to expand our horizons and each choose 3 different smoothies to try this month. So, here are the smoothies I found to try.


Banana, Chia, and Spinach Smoothie
(courtesy of What's Gaby Cooking)
Serves: 1


-1 cup unsweetened almond milk
-1/2 cup frozen mango
-1 ripe banana
-1 handful fresh spinach
-1 tsp chia seeds


Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend! Add more almond milk as necessary, depending on your desired consistency.

Peanut Butter, Banana, and Oat Milk Shake
(courtesy of Joy the Baker)
Serves: 1-2


-2 cups cold almond, soy, or regular milk
-1 banana, cut into chunks (frozen is ideal)
-1/4 cup peanut butter
-1 heaping tsp honey
-1 tbsp flax seeds, ground into meal
-2 tsp old-fashioned oats, ground fine


Directions:
1. In a spice grinder, pulverize flax seeds and oats into a fine powder. (Use a spice grinder or a clean coffee grinder!)
2. In a blender, combine almond milk, banana, peanut butter, honey, and ground flax and oats.
3. Blend until no banana chunks remain and the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
4. Pour into a glass, and enjoy immediately.


Mixed-Berry Smoothie
(courtesy of The Healthy Apple)
Serves: 2


-1 cup frozen raspberries
-1 cup frozen blackberries
-1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
-1 cup brewed herbal tea, chilled
-1 tsp organic ground flax seeds
-2 tsp fresh orange juice
-1 tsp fresh orange zest


Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend! Add more orange juice as necessary, depending on your desired consistency.


So, those are my three choices. What do you think? Are you going to try any of these flavors? If so, let me know what you thought! And if you have any smoothie recommendations, feel free to share. Anna and I will share our results next week.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been big on smoothies, I can't stand the texture but my brother is huge on smoothie drinks. I'll have to give him these ideas to try.

    ReplyDelete