Thursday, June 11, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Old Loyalty, New Love by Mary Calmes


When jackal shifter Quade Danas was banished from his pack for being gay, he spent years in the military escaping his father's prejudice before returning to civilian life as a bodyguard for Roman Howell, the teenage son of a very rich man. After Roman is in an accident that leaves him physically scarred and emotionally distant, Quade is the only one who can get through to him. As Roman becomes a man, he realizes what he wants—his bodyguard by his side and in his bed. Unfortunately, Quade can’t seem to see past the kid Roman once was to the man he has become, certain Roman’s feelings are merely misplaced gratitude. But Roman knows a lot more than Quade realizes, and he’s used to persevering, no matter how many impediments life throws his way. He wants the chance to prove to Quade that he’s strong enough for a jackal alpha to call mate.

Despite the decades Quade has been away, and the heartache of his father’s rejection, his inborn loyalty to the pack remains, and his abrupt departure left the jackal shifters without an alpha heir. As a psychopath shifter staking claim as alpha draws Quade back home, and Quade feels compelled to heed the call, he may be forced to make a choice he never anticipated. But doing so means he must leave Roman behind… unless somehow they find a way to make loyalty and love work together. 


Amazon     |     Dreamspinner Press     |     ARe


My Review:
5 stars - Originally read in Feb. 2014

When I first read the blurb, I was a little iffy about reading the story, and it took some time for me to really get into the story. However, the story really took off for me, and I couldn't stop reading. And yes, the writing style takes a little getting used to, but I actually preferred it and enjoyed it. Most of all, I loved how Roman and Quade jelled together. They fit together well, and I loved the chemistry. The way they talked, completed each other's sentences, etc. I also loved the humor in the story, as it definitely enhanced my enjoyment, plus was a great comic relief. I am officially in love with both Roman and Quade, and I sincerely hope they're going to get sequels like Jin and Logan did (Change of Heart series). Highly recommended read.

No comments:

Post a Comment