Saturday, May 25, 2013

Freaky Flashes Review

Genre: Paranormal Erotic
Heat Rating: 4
Publisher: Breathless Press
Formats Available In: All eBook formats
Word Count: 13,066



Death Day Anniversary by Lee Brazil

A newcomer to town follows urban legend to the cemetery- is he a willing sacrifice, or an unfortunate dupe?



The Sum of His Parts by Hank Edwards
Scott Tallow awakens in a hospital, stitches holding him together. As a handsome doctor helps him heal, Scott comes to realize he's not quite himself.


Writing is a Socially Acceptable Form of Schizophrenia by Havan Fellows
Almost everyone has an interesting story to tell. I've got numerous—and they've declared war against me.


That Special Feeling by Raven McAllan
Can you carve your future happiness in a pumpkin?


Andrew Calls the Dead by Dianne Hartsock
Love is powerful, but is it strong enough to raise the dead?


Make me a Sandwich by Lee Brazil
When his roommate is away, distraction is just a horror movie away for Gregory...until the things that go bump in the night take over.


Destiny by Doris O'Connor
Can Arabella reach sanctuary, or will her dreams become reality?


Spin the Bottle by Raven McAllan
Aeons ago, Attric had been banished in disgrace. Halloween gave him the chance to redeem himself. Would he? Or was he doomed to live in a bottle forever?


The Birthday by Dianne Hartsock
Every birthday Cyrus visits the dance clubs with a surprise for the young men. This year, the tables are turned.


Strength's Curse by S.J. Thomas
Hunted through the night by a terrifying creature a young girl refuses to give up, but her strength will be her curse.


Reaping Darkness by Jamieson Wolf
As a new Reaper of Souls, Kale knows who Death is. He just isn't used to Death showing up in his dreams. When he does, Kale learns that attraction, even in dreams, can be very real indeed...


The Fog by Lee Brazil
Starting afresh in a new home in the valley should have helped Jeff leave memories of his lost love behind. Instead his dreams are filled with a passion that is terrifying in the light of day.


In the Shadows by Dianne Hartsock
He waits in the shadows; silent, hungry. Careful! He might be watching you.


Book Links:


My Review:
4 stars

Now I’m normally not a big fan of flashes, I hate not having answers and only seeing snippets of stories but wanting more. However, when I heard about Freaky Flashes, I knew I had to read it, and I’m glad I did. Overall, this was a very well done anthology. I couldn’t really rate such short flashes on their own, so I just rated the anthology overall, but here are my thoughts on each individual story.


Death Day Anniversary
A very interesting vampire tale, would love to see it fleshed out. The ending opened up a whole new world of possibilities

The Sum of His Parts
A spooky yet heartwarming tale. I was sitting anxiously waiting for the other shoe to fall, and man, it was a doozy. I had an inkling of what the story was reminiscent of, but the ending was slightly different than I was expecting, which was nice.

Writing is a Socially Acceptable Form of Schizophrenia
An amusing look into the author’s head. This isn’t a spooky story, it’s more of a comedy than anything, but oddly enough, it still fits into the anthology. And now I want to read all these characters’ stories.

That Special Feeling
The first m/f story in the anthology. This story confused me. I re-read it and it’s still ambiguous and vague, so I’m not really sure what happened.

Andrew Calls the Dead
A cautionary tale about voodoo, with an ironic and somewhat humorous twist ending.

Make Me a Sandwich
I can relate to how Greg was acting, becuase I’ve done the exact same thing before. Loved the ending, very spooky and funny.

Destiny
The second m/f story, and the shortest story in the anthology, yet it was well-done and perfectly matched the title.

Spin the Bottle
The final m/f story in the anthology. This was an interesting take on a classic game, though the snippet wasn’t very detailed and left me with questions about what was going on.

The Birthday
The most disturbing story in the anthology to me, yet I liked the well-deserved ending. Though the psychology fan part of me wants to see the story expanded, to know more about what made the characters into who they are etc. Plus, I really want to see what happens after the end of this story.

Strength’s Curse
One of the most brutal stories in the anthology, no HEA or HFN, the only ending promised is a pretty brutal one. Not for the faint-hearted.

Reaping Darkness
All I have to say is, Death’s never looked so sexy. I wasn’t a fan of the cheating aspect, though this could be considered dubious consent I guess.

The Fog
This was a very sexy, very spooky story that really makes you think. Would love to see this story expanded.

In the Shadows
This was the second most disturbing story in the anthology. I just want to warn you, there is a bit of bloodplay in this story, and no, it’s not vampires. The story was different, with a surprise twist ending that I didn’t see coming. I wish it had been longer, so I could find out what happened next, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment