Friday, May 10, 2013

Author Interview: Tammy Valentine

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m the daughter of a Russian countess, born in Monaco and smuggled out of the Soviet Embassy there at the height of the Cold War before being educated at an English girls’ boarding school and Swiss finishing school, ending up as the sex slave of a billionaire thriller writer in a secret Bahamas brothel. If only the reality were as exciting…

Where did you come up with the idea for your new book?
I’ve always been fascinated by horoscopes and astrology, and the idea of linking sexual performance to star signs seemed too good to miss. And maybe there’s a bit of me that would have loved to embark on the sexual journey of my protagonist, Izzy.

How did you come up with your characters?
What makes you think they’re fictional characters?

Who did you show your first draft to and why?
The first draft I keep very close to my heart. A girl has to preserve some mystery, and I do like to try things out before I go public with them.

Do you have plans to write a follow up?
As the name Foreplay suggests, there’s a whole lot more to come – in every sense of the word. Every single star sign gets its own treatment and story, and there’s a final instalment – fittingly entitled Climax – to round things off. Hopefully in a completely satisfying way for all concerned.

Open your book to a random page and tell us the first paragraph…
Behind her closed eyes she watched a parade of male models, each one naked but for a fig leaf covering his modesty, engraved with his star sign. Starting with Aries, she made the men line up in front of her in her head, then gazed appreciatively as one by one they shed their leaves to reveal the astrological promise beneath. She got as far as Cancer, the fourth sign, before she came, her clitoris convulsing deliciously under the pressure of her finger.

What is your favourite movie?
The Postman Always Rings Twice, starring Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange. Kitchens and men in braces have never seemed the same since.

What do you like to read?
Anything from the Breathless Press catalogue – it’s a wonderful smorgasbord of delights.

Where do you go to escape?
My mind. There’s nowhere sexier.

Do you have any pets?
I have a warm, lovable pussy that I stroke while writing. It helps get me in the mood. (Naughty – her name is Galore!)

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
Write. There’s nothing more to it than that. It’s boring but true what your first-grade piano teacher told you: you’ll only get better if you practise. The same goes for most things, as my heroine Izzy discovers over the course of her amazing year.

Would you recommend self-publishing or mainstream publishing for first time novelists?
While there are lots of examples of self-pubbing successes, and even a few millionaires, I have to say that a mainstream publisher wanting to release your writing is – how shall I put it? – damned sexy! But I can only speak from my own experience – go with whatever works for you.

Where can we find you online?
Well, I’ve got my own website – www.tammyvalentine.com – and I’m also on Twitter at @tammyvalentine1 (don’t forget the 1) and Facebook as Tammy Valentine. Mind you, I’m not terribly active on FB (I must confess I don’t really ‘get’ it) and veer more towards Twitter as a social networking device. That makes me sound really 21st Century, doesn’t it? Maybe I’m just an old-fashioned girl at heart…


Finally, tell us about your book.
Twelve star signs, four friends, one extraordinary year. With Foreplay, enjoy a free taste of Izzy on her journey of sexual discovery through the Zodiac.

Twelve star signs, four friends, one extraordinary year. Izzy Morgan is a girl on a mission. When her friend Jessica reveals a remarkable talent for identifying men's star signs purely from their sexual performance, an intrigued Izzy takes up an exhilarating challenge. With Foreplay, you can enjoy a free taste of Izzy as she begins her journey of sexual discovery through the Zodiac.



CURRENTLY FREE FROM THE FOLLOWING PLACES:



Author Bio:
When Tammy Valentine settles down to write one of her stories, she likes to get herself in the mood. She begins with a stroll in the garden, cutting some fresh roses for her writing desk, then lights some beautiful scented candles, pours a nice chilled glass of chardonnay, and lets her imagination run wild. She loves allowing readers into her secret world, and you can find out more about her at www.tammyvalentine.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment