Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Holiday Party - Christmas Movies


One of the biggest things people do during the holiday season is watch Christmas movies. I’ve never met anyone who hasn’t seen one. Even the people I know who don’t celebrate Christmas have seen Christmas movies and some even watch them every year.

It’s a cultural experience. Every TV station plays at least one or two during December, and some stations play nothing but Christmas movies during December. New Christmas movies are released every year (Lifetime is big on this). People take quotes from the movies to use for various items (like on my Christmas sweater), others take decorations (such as the infamous lamp leg in A Christmas Story), lingo from the movies becomes pop culture references and more. Companies even make commercials using characters from these movies (such as the AT&T ones this year with the old characters from Rudolph).

In my family, we have a giant collection of holiday movies that we watch. However, there is one movie that we absolutely have to watch every year together. In fact, since my sister wasn't able to come down until later this week, she forbid us from seeing the movie until she got here. For us, that movie is Christmas Vacation. I can’t tell you how this became our must watch movie. It just did. It’s the one holiday movie that we all love. The jokes and craziness make me laugh even to this day, no matter how many times I see the movie. It’s funny, it’s heartwarming, and it’s an absolute delight that I look forward to every year.


Do you have a favorite Christmas (or holiday) movie that you absolutely have to watch every year? Do you like experimenting, watching all the new movies coming out or do you just stick with all your old favorites?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is "While You were Sleeping" starring Sandra Bullock. I like to catch When the Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carey. Also, I watch sometimes the Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life and/ or Elf. This year, I watched Scrooged with Bill Murray, which I haven't watched in years. I'm not sure if I've ever watched Christmas Vacation. I will need to rectify this omission next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually try to watch It's A Wonderful Life. I also like watching the holiday romance movies on tv.

    ReplyDelete