Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Heaviness of Knowing NBtM

Blurb:
Roxal has spent her life using her Dream Traveler ability in service to Trebor’s gods, The Keepers. Even after she learns they aren’t all powerful like she was taught, she dutifully continues to manipulate an Earth woman named Lauren to do their bidding. Roxal’s content pretending to be a loyal follower, until her mate’s activities with a rebel faction put both of their lives in jeopardy.

Meanwhile on Earth, Lauren is struggling to find balance at work and at home. To make matters worse, she develops an acute case of insomnia which disrupts her life. While trying to cure her condition, Lauren discovers that not only do aliens exist, but that she’s been in contact with one for most of her life. And that’s just for starters.

Now Lauren’s world is turned upside down. And Roxal has to figure out if she can harness the survival instincts which before told her to hide and use it to now fight for her survival.


Excerpt:
“What are you doing back here? I told you it was dangerous for them to find you here. How did you get to this place? I did not initiate this link.”

The voice sounded the same as the one from her dream-like meditation from two nights before. Lauren wondered why the presence spoke to her like she knew her. Also, what she was saying didn’t make any sense to Lauren.

“I’m here because I was guided here. Why is it dangerous to be here?”

“No one can guide you here but me,” Lauren heard the presence say, while at the same time, Estella was asking, “Lauren, are you talking to someone?”

“Yes, Estella. There’s a woman here and she’s telling me I should go because it’s dangerous for me. And she wants to know how I got here in the first place. I told her you guided me here, but she says you can’t do that.”

“Who are you talking to?” The woman now sounded as if she were confused.

“I’m talking to my therapist, Dr. Estella Olivier.”

“A therapist?” The voice was quiet for several moments. “Are you awake, Lauren?”

This woman was asking the strangest questions. And though she didn’t want to answer, there was just something about her that Lauren sensed she could trust.

“Yes, I’m awake. I’m at a session with my doctor to determine why I can’t sleep. She led me to this room to figure out the answer and then you started talking.”

Both the woman and Estella were silent.

The woman’s voice broke the silence. “Lauren, we have never spoken before while you were awake.”



My favorite sci-fi/geeky fandoms

When it comes to sci-fi fandoms, my favorites are Star Trek and Doctor Who. The first Star Trek series I watched was Star Trek: The Next Generation. And I loved it. I was hooked from the first show. And the funny thing is, I have no idea how I even started watching it. Neither of my parents are into science fiction. Especially my Mom who thinks science fiction is crazy. But somehow I was able to watch it, and I’ve been a fan ever since.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, I watched each series to the bitter end. Each one gave me more to love. Each one up until Star Trek: Enterprise. And believe me, no one is more disappointed by this admission that I am. Because not only do I love Star Trek, but I also love Scott Bakula. Though people may make fun of Quantum Leap now, I also loved that series. In fact, I think I cried during the series finale because Sam never made it home. But, back to Star Trek: Enterprise. So though I very much wanted it to be successful, I wasn’t heartbroken when it was cancelled. Now, with Star Trek: Discovery coming in 2017, I’m excited again.

And last but not least is Doctor Who.

Please believe me when I say this. I. Love. The Doctor.

If he showed up right now with the TARDIS, I would go with him. There is just something about that fandom that has captured my heart and won’t let go. Being born and raised in the US, I have vague memories of Doctor Who from my childhood. I was a huge PBS watcher as a child. And on occasion, I would see episodes featuring The Fourth Doctor, played by Tom Baker. I was only allowed to watch a few of these because I remember being frightened by one of the episodes. I can’t remember what scared me, but that was enough to get it officially banned in my household.

Then, as will happen with age, memories of Doctor Who faded into the recesses of my mind. Until, that is, 2005 when the series was revived. Thank you, Russell T Davies. When I heard new episodes for the show would be airing (I think on the SyFy channel, then still the SciFi channel) I decided to watch. The first episode, for me, was like a powerful drug. I was hooked. I love it so much that when my husband and I visited London last year, I forced him to go with me to a tube station that has a blue police box outside just so I could get a picture.

I could go on and on about Doctor Who. So let me just say that if you want to discuss either Star Trek or Doctor Who ad nauseam, I’m your girl. Especially Doctor Who.

This is a woman after my own heart y'all. - Emily



Click here to visit the other stops on the tour.


Author Bio and Links:
Sharolyn G. Brown is a lifelong science fiction and fantasy fan who decided the best way to deal with all of the characters in her head was to give them stories and put them in a book. She lives with her husband in Houston, Texas where she divides her time between working, writing, and spending time with him.

For more information about Sharolyn, check out her website. You can also connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. To keep up with the latest news, please sign up for her Newsletter.

7 comments:

  1. Good morning, Emily. Thank you for hosting me today. I look forward to connecting with everyone who stops by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great post, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really unique and fascinating sounding story. Loved the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MomJane. I'm glad you loved the excerpt.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, everyone, for your comments. And thank you, Emily, for hosting me.

    ReplyDelete