Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Illustrious Client Review Tour

Blurb:
Book Two of the Shirley Combs and Dr. Mary Watson series, THE ILLUSTRIOUS CLIENT, shows us the private investigator and her sidekick sharing an office, and introduces their receptionist, Lix. They are hired to influence a young international pop star, Oceane Charles, to pry her away from her older, richer, player of a girlfriend. The cast is made up of people with various ethnicities and backgrounds, and of course the job soon includes solving a murder mystery. Along the way, Mary discovers her latent lesbianism. Set in Portland, Oregon on a superyacht, in a hospital VIP room, at Rose Festival, and other fun places.



Excerpt:
I had a nice long soak in the tub before dinner time. I usually shower because it’s quick, efficient, and doesn’t use as much water. Today I wanted to be completely relaxed when Beth arrived, so a full bath with salts, a loofa, and a rinsing shower after, that was the ticket. My hair smelled like the shampoo and conditioner I’d bought for the occasion. Usually I buy something cheap that doesn’t test on animals. That day at the health food market I’d bought something that smelled so heady, yet light, it could be perfume.


I chose a different outfit from last night. I wore cotton gauze pants in black with ties at the ankle, with an ultra-light ivory tee. I kept my feet bare as I had no intention of leaving the house. My floors and rugs were still clean, even the ceilings were clean. No cobwebs, no neglected corners for this date. After resetting the table with a different tablecloth, napkins, and different dishes, glasses, and silverware, I selected music for the evening and put it on. Then I put the entree and veggies in the oven to reheat, took  out the salad and tossed it, and opened a new bottle of red wine to breathe.


Five minutes before Beth was due, my phone rang. When I heard Shirley’s ring, I was tempted to turn off the phone. I couldn’t.


“Mary?”


“Yes, Shirley?”


“I wanted to say I hope you enjoy your date tonight.”


“Thanks, Shirley. I’m gonna try.”


“Okay, that’s all.”


“All right then. Bye.”


“Wait, Mary. About tomorrow.”


“Yes?”


“Tomorrow is Sunday. We don’t need to work tomorrow unless it’s an emergency.”


I smiled. I knew what it cost her to think about another person’s happiness. Even mine.



Sandra will be awarding a $25 Powell's gift card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. So the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.


February 12: Rose and Beps Blog - Promo
February 26: It's Raining Books



Author Bio and Links:
Sandra de Helen’s books as well as short stories are available at bookstores, libraries, and online. Her poetry and plays are published in several journals. Samples of her works are on her website SandradeHelen.com. Even though she says she isn't a "joiner," de Helen is a member of the Dramatists Guild, Oregon Writers Colony, the Golden Crown Literary Society, and International Centre for Women Playwrights. Like her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter, and read her blog. She lives with her cat Stanton in Portland, Oregon where they both type.


Website     |     Facebook

Amazon Buy Link

1 comment: