Thursday, February 11, 2016

In Time For You Review Tour

Blurb:
While horseback riding in the English countryside, sisters, Electra and Emily Crippen find themselves trapped in a tear in time. Thrown back to 1357 England and caught by a local noble, they are in a place that is home but as frightening and unfamiliar as an alien world would be. With no idea how the tear in time came about, the one thing they do know is: they must stay together and stay near to where the event took place in hopes of discovering the way back to their modern life. That certain need to stay together is the first certainty taken from them when one sister is forced to remain in England and one is sent miles away to Wales by royal order.

There is one other hope for help the sisters don’t know exists. It’s Electra’s lover, Roger Marchand. A time traveler himself, he never told her of his past. When he realizes what has happened to the sisters, he enlists the help of a scientist friend to help him open the suspected passageway through time. Any effort to save Electra and Emily will likely cost him his life. This was the time Roger came from, a time when his country, France, was at war with England. If he is discovered on English soil while searching for the sisters, he will either be killed or taken prisoner of war. Any risk is worth saving the life of the woman he loves.


Excerpt:
While she ate, the button on Electra's sleeve fell out of the frog loop. She didn't hook the button again, reaching for her wine instead. The sleeve pulled back from her wrist to expose her watch, which she hadn't thought to remove.

"What is that?" Simon asked and pointed to her Seiko.

"A watch." What a bizarre question. There wasn't a corner of the planet that people didn't recognize a wristwatch.

A frown slowly formed and he stretched across Emily and took hold of Electra's hand to tug it toward him for a better look. He turned her hand over and in a matter of seconds had the clasp undone.

He brought the candle in front of his trencher closer and held the watch under it. "What do the numbers mean?"

"It's a clock, a miniature timepiece you wear on your wrist."

From his expression, the explanation puzzled him. "Do they not have candle clocks in this Greenland you claim you're from?"

How to explain the abundance of various clocks to a man who apparently has no context for the anything beyond a candle clock or similar ancient means of telling time?

"Are you saying you've never seen a clock?" Emily asked.

"One like this? No, I have not."

Emily bent her head nearer Electra and whispered, "Are you thinking what I am?"

"Sadly, yes."

Simon ran his finger over the watch face. "These small digits, what is their meaning?"

"It's the date and year: 5.14.15."

He shook his head. "What year is 15?"

"2015, of course."

"You are mad. It's the year of our Lord, 1357."


My Review:

4 stars

I didn't realize at first that this is actually book 4 in a series. Fortunately, you can read it as a standalone, but once you do, you'll want to go out and read the first three as well. 

I'm not usually a big historical fan, but I am a Whovian...I mean, a fan of time travel, which features prominently in the story. I always love seeing how different authors work with it and use it in their stories, and Karlsen does a great job with it. She really plays up the confusing element of it. So many times, characters travel through time and are magically able to fit in with minimal issues. That is not the case for Electra and Emily. They reacted similarly to how most of us would probably act if we were dropped several hundreds of years in the past. 

Speaking of the characters, I liked all of them. I also liked how they interacted with each other, particularly Roger and his scientist friend. It was interesting to see how their relationship developed while looking for Electra and Emily. I also liked how the romance between Roger and Electra developed as well, as it felt natural and didn't make Electra out to be a totally helpless, swooning female, which I enjoyed. I also like how this didn't play out like a traditional historical romance (did I mention not liking helpless swooning females?). All in all, I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, and I cannot wait to read the other books in the series.



January 28: Room With Books
February 4: Unabridged Andra's
February 4: Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock
February 11: Sharing Links and Wisdom
February 11: LibriAmoriMiei
February 18: The Reading Addict
February 18: Two Ends of the Pen
February 18: Liz Gavin's Blog


Author Bio and Links:
I was born and raised in Chicago. My father was a history professor and my mother was, and is, a voracious reader. I grew up with a love of history and books.

My parents also love traveling, a passion they passed onto me. I wanted to see the places I read about, see the land and monuments from the time periods that fascinated me. I’ve had the good fortune to travel extensively throughout Europe, the Near East, and North Africa. 

I am a retired police detective. I spent twenty-five years in law enforcement with two different agencies. My desire to write came in my early teens. After I retired, I decided to pursue that dream. I write three different series. My paranormal romance series is called, Knights in Time. My romantic thriller series is Dangerous Waters. The newest is The Bloodstone Series. Each series has a different setting and some cross time periods, which I find fun to write.

I currently live in the Pacific Northwest with my husband and five wild and crazy rescue dogs. 

Website    |    Goodreads    |    Twitter    |    Facebook    |    Google+

6 comments:

  1. What is the hardest part of writing a book for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank Emily for taking the time to read and review In Time For You. The lovely review is much appreciated.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry,
    Love scenes. You'd think writing romance they'd come easy but I struggle with them.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your books. This one really sounds great. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything special you do to help you feel focused while writing. Do you light candles or listen to music, have a certain snack/drink or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete