Thursday, July 23, 2015

Throwback Thursday - My Roommate's a Jock? Well, Crap! by Wade Kelly

I originally read My Roommate's a Jock? Well, Crap! back in May of 2013, and it’s still to this day a favorite of mine. If you haven’t read Wade’s work, this is definitely one of her lighter works, and a great place to start with her books. And now, for your entertainment…

Blurb:
It's easy to become cynical when life never goes your way.

Cole Reid has been a social recluse since he was fifteen, when he was outed by his high school baseball team. Since then, his obsessive-compulsive behavior and sarcastic nature have driven away most of the population, and everyone else hates him because he's gay. As he sees it, he's bound to repulse any prospective friends, let alone boyfriends, so why bother?

By the time Cole enters college, he's become an anal-retentive loner—but it's not a problem until his roommate graduates and the housing department assigns Ellis Montgomery to move in with Cole. Ellis is messy, gorgeous, straight, and worst of all, a "jock"!

During a school year filled with frat buddies, camping expeditions, and meddling parents, Cole and Ellis develop a friendship that turns Cole's glass-half-empty outlook on its head. There must be more to Ellis than a fun-loving jock—and maybe Cole's reawakening libido has rekindled his hope for more than camaraderie.


My Review:
4.5 stars


This was my first taste of Wade’s work, and I absolutely loved it! This is one of those books that has big reactions from the readers; either you'll love it or you'll hate it, there's not a whole lot of middle ground. I loved the quirky language that fit the characters, and there were times I just couldn't stop laughing, it was so funny. The characters are quirky (especially Cole) and the writing style is different than what you’d usually expect as well, which was very refreshing to me. I also didn’t mind the multiple POV changes that much since it fit into the story and added to it (in my opinion), but not everyone will like the jumping POVs.

The only downside is that the book started dragging a bit in the middle and near the end, but all in all, it was a great book that I'd highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment