Thursday, May 23, 2013

Author Interview - Lee Brazil

R2R: Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm a former teacher. I have been writing m/m romance since October of 2010.


R2R: Where did you come up with the idea for your new book?
LOL. There was this meme circulating on Facebook, (When isn't there?) And it was about a serial killer in the kitchen. I laughed so hard when I saw it, that I knew I had to expand on it.


R2R: How did you come up with your characters?
I have always been a bit snide about the people in horror movies…You know, running around the wood sin their high heels and splitting up when clearly there's an axe murderer out there killing everyone who's on his own? So this guy is my horror movie tribute.


R2R: Who did you show your first draft to and why?
Well, I showed it to Havan Fellows, who is my critique partner and beta reader.


R2R: Do you have plans to a follow up?
This is a flash fiction anthology, so I'm not sure Breathless Press plans a follow up for next Halloween- if they do, then I'm certainly in!


R2R: Open your book to a random page and tell us the first paragraph…
Okay, I did more than the first paragraph because the first one was really short…so


Scrick.
Some houses creak. They groan and whisper and make strange noises in the night. That's all it is. House noises. Tree branches brushing against windows and siding.  Mice in the kitchen.
Didn't mean his heart wasn't racing and his mind wasn't tripping. His cell phone glowed on the upturned crate that served as a coffee table. He resisted the urge to pick it up and call Marco. Call anyone, fuck. Any human voice would be good right now.
That's from Make Me A Sandwich in Freaky Flashes.


R2R: What is your favorite movie?
My all-time favourite movie would have to be Big Jake with John Wayne. I love that scene where his son calls him Daddy.


R2R: What do you like to read?
I like to read gritty, hard boiled mysteries like Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch books and John Sandford's Prey Novels. Oh, and romances, m/m romances are my go to fluff.


R2R: Where do you go to escape?
I walk in the woods on our property. Its very shady and peaceful, and the dappled sunlight is entrancing.


R2R: Do you have any pets?
I have several pets. A Great Dane mix named MJ ( for the Tom Petty Song), a tabby cat named Abbey (after the Beatles album) and two new bunnies, Fluffy and Oreo.


R2R: What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
Don't give up. Keep writing, keeping adding words to the page, even if it's only a few a day.


R2R: Would you recommend self-publishing or main stream publishing for first time novelists?
I'd recommend either, with the stipulation that a self-published book requires just as much attention to detail as a main stream publisher would get it. Self publishers need to remember that editing is vital, as is decent cover art.


Author Bio:
I’m an avid reader and former teacher of grammar and composition who believes that falling in love is the grandest adventure anyone can have. In a nutshell, that’s every story I have to tell. Readers can find out more about me at my blog, Lee’s Musings.

You can find me online at:
Lee on FB
Lee on Twitter @leebrazil
Lee Blog
Pinterest
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment