Monday, February 4, 2013

Conspiracy of Silence NBtM Tour

Blurb:
She has the perfect life—and a secret worth killing for.

Nina Kasai is a gorgeous, Ivy League educated executive who would do anything to keep her past a secret, even from her husband. Seventeen years ago, she ran for her life and the truth has been locked away in the pages of her hidden diary, and in the mind of a disturbed woman who will never tell—ever.

When Nina lands the cover of a prestigious business magazine however, she can no longer hide from the powerful enemy she escaped. Phillip Copeland wants to be the next Governor of Massachusetts and he’s not above using his power and influence to silence Nina. He warns her to keep quiet about what happened all those years ago—or else.

As the stakes are raised, both politically and personally, Nina realizes the only way to win this game is to tell the truth. But who will believe her since her diary has been destroyed, and the only other witness isn’t talking?

Nina’s one chance at reclaiming her life hinges on a dramatic courtroom battle where nothing is as it seems. And when the verdict is read, four lives will be forever altered.





Excerpt:
The telephone rang at three a.m. A drowsy Nina answered it.

“I have bad news.”

She didn’t need a psychic to tell her that. It was three in the morning.

“What is it?” she asked Dan McCloud.

“It’s Constance Buckwell. She’s dead, Nina.”

Nina turned on the lamp on the nightstand and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

“How could she be dead? I just spoke to her last night. She emphatically told me she was going to lie on the witness stand.”

“It’s a tough break, for her and for us.” Dan McCloud couldn’t hide his disappointment. Even at this ungodly hour, he was thinking like a lawyer.

“How did she die?” Nina asked.


“Heart attack. She was on her way home and collapsed on the bus. She made it to the hospital alive but died shortly afterwards.”

“This isn’t a good time to bring this up, but we just suffered a major setback and we need to rethink our strategy,” McCloud said. “This case is going to come down to your testimony. I’m still optimistic about our chances, but you have to be the most compelling witness in this case. Your recollection of details is what’s going to persuade a jury to vote for a conviction. Can you meet me at seven?”

Nina shook Marc awake. “We have big trouble.”

“What?” he asked without moving.

“Constance is gone. No more star witness.”

Marc popped up like a Jack-in-the-Box. “Where did she go?”

To hell is my best guess.



So, thanks for stopping by. Now, clear something up for me, how do you pronounce your name? I’ve never met someone with your name before, so I’m very curious.
It’s pronounced Gleday, because of the accent over the second e. It means “mother.”

So, why don’t you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a marketing director in my day job. I’m married with two boys.

How did you get started writing?
It seems I’ve been writing forever. I started out writing for my town newspaper when I was around 14. I also wrote for my college newspaper and did a brief stint as a freelance reporter. I’ve always loved books and words in general since I was a kid. I read a lot of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries, and anything else I could get my hands on. It seems I’ve always had a love affair with writing and becoming an author has always been a lifelong dream.

What was the inspiration behind Conspiracy of Silence? Are Nina and Phillip based off anyone you know, or are they just randomly created characters?
Everyone has secrets and sometimes, tough decisions have to be made about whether or not to reveal those secrets. I had a conversation years ago with someone close to me and I was shocked by what she told me.  That sowed the seeds for Conspiracy of Silence. I decided to focus the story on a beautiful, Ivy League educated executive who is forced to confront a secret she buried many years ago, and the consequences that follow. The book ends with a dramatic courtroom showdown, which ironically, sets her free psychologically. As for the characters, they’re fiction but I may have borrowed a trait here or there from real-life individuals.

So, what are you working on right now? Got any releases planned, or still writing?
I’m working on my next novel about a research scientist who is forced to take the rap for a murder she didn’t commit. I’m having a lot of fun with it, and hope for a 2014 release date.

Thanks so much for stopping by and answering my questions!



Gledé will be awarding an Italian leather journal (US/Canada Only) to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. So, the more you comment, the better your chances!

November 12:  Let's Get BOOKED!
November 19:  Loose the Hounds
November 26:  Lisa Haselton's Reviews and Interviews
November 26: STOP 2  Long and Short Reviews: Mystery Guests
December 3:  Andi's Book Reviews
December 10:  Black Velvet Seductions Blog
December 17:  Christine Young Romance Writer
January 7:  Queen of all She Reads
January 14:  You Gotta Read Reviews - Guest
January 21:  Blooding Book Reviews
January 21:  STOP 2  Long and Short Reviews: Mystery/Suspense
January 28:  The Cerebral Writer
February 4:  Sharing Links and Wisdom
February 11:  Hope. Dreams. Life... Love
February 18:  Sandra's Blog
February 25:  It's Raining Books
March 4:  PROMO Reviews by Molly



Bio and Links:
Gledé Browne Kabongo began writing at age 14 when she covered soccer matches for her hometown newspaper.  She has also written for the Patriot Ledger and Metrowest Daily News, two Massachusetts based newspapers. She earned a master’s degree in communications from Clark University, and once had dreams of winning a Pulitzer Prize for journalism. These days her dreams have shifted to winning the Pulitzer for fiction, and a Best Screenplay Academy Award. For the past decade, Gledé has worked in senior marketing roles for organizations in the Information Technology, publishing and non-profit sectors. She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and two sons.

Author website
Twitter

Buy links
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
iUniverse

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting story. Really loved the excerpt. Gives a bit of an idea about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the interview and excerpt, thank you.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol this is terrible that it's taken me this long to find out how to pronounce your name...I've been wondering since the beginning of the tour! lol

    andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete