Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I Got Hit By A Virus Today

So, my computer stopped working this morning. Apparently, I caught a new virus that’s going around that prevents your desktop from properly loading. My computer’s currently with the Geek Squad, waiting to be fixed.

So what is this new virus? Well, this is what happened to me, and according to tech support, I’m not the only person this has happened to. Apparently, you can catch it anywhere (according to tech support, someone caught it through the AVG anti-virus program, another through Google), and it works fast once you pick it up. For me, my computer was working fine the night before, but the next morning, I booted it up, made it to the password screen, and was then met by a blue screen (though not the blue screen of death). My cursor still worked and showed, and task manager still popped up when I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL, but my desktop wouldn’t load.

So, if this happens to you, odds are you caught this new virus going around. It sucks, but according to the Geek Squad, it is fixable through either a factory reset or taking it in and having the pros look at it (in case you don’t want to lose all your data and programs). So now you know a bit more about it, and while it’s not the blue screen of death, it’s still a blue screen of doom (or at the very least, of worry). It might take a lot of work to fix it, but it is fixable, so don’t freak out.


Anyways, I just wanted to warn y’all about this new virus, and to take a minute to remind y’all to always back up your computers, because you never know when something like this will hit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the back-up reminder. Sorry to read about your virus problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jbst, fortunately I've gotten my computer back now, so it's all good.

      Delete